By Premier Martial Arts, Fort Wayne, In
Practical Healthy Eating Tips for Children, continued
- Avoid sugar-laden breakfast cereals, breakfast bars, and granola bars: Many cereals, breakfast bars, and granola bars that appeal to kids are high in sugar and have ingredients almost like a candy bar. Choose unsweetened, low-fat, whole grain, fiber-rich versions of these items instead. Martial Arts Health Tip: Add fruit to naturally sweeten cereals. Also this is a great meal for children to “prepare” themselves; they get pretty excited when they help. Don’t forget, children can only eat what you bring into the house. If you avoid buying sugary foods, your children won’t be able to eat them.
- Reduce sugar intake: Most kids love sweet treats like candy, cookies, donuts, muffins and chewy “fruit” snacks, but too much sugar is not good for their health or teeth. Offer these items infrequently – perhaps as dessert after dinner – and limit the serving size. Choose healthier alternatives such as fresh, dried, freeze-dried or canned (in juice or extra-light syrup) fruit. Martial Arts Health Tip: Our family opts to go to our martial arts class for our after-dinner treat. We also have a “special of the week”, where each week our children get to pick a new fruit or vegetable to try. This encourages the children to try new things and offers a healthy alternative to help change things up after dinner.
- Use pre-packaged convenience foods sparingly: Although quick and easy, these highly processed foods are high in salt, sugar, and/or fat—as well as preservatives—and have little to no nutritional value. Serve these items only in “emergency” situations. Martial Arts Health Tip: We wash all fruits and veggies right after we get home from the grocery store. This helps save prep time when preparing meals. Also, “think double:” Double your recipes and freeze half for future meals. Just remember to label everything prior to putting it in the freezer and leave at least ½ inch of space at the top of the container as frozen foods expand.
- Avoid fast food: There are few nutrients in fast food—and plenty of calories, sugar, fat, cholesterol, salt and preservatives. When you do eat out, make healthy restaurant choices and help your child order the most nutritious items off of the menu. Martial Arts Health Tip: As parents, we know this isn’t always avoidable. So when you do have to make this choice, simply consider the healthy alternatives that fast food restaurants are now offering. By replacing the French fries with fruit or veggie dippers and the soda with low-fat milk this will make a world of difference.
- Prevent habitual overeating: Infants and young children are very good at paying attention to their hunger and fullness cues. Reinforce that your kids should eat only when they are hungry and stop as soon as they start to feel full. Avoid the “clean-your-plate” mentality. If your child is satisfied, don’t force him to finish his meal. Martial Arts Health Tip: Invest in a home food scale and an extra set of measuring cups/spoons. This is a great way to incorporate portion control and measuring for children. Obviously, you can’t measure and weigh every time; however, children love to utilize what they learn in school at home.
Please visit Premier Martial Arts to find a martial arts school for your child (and the whole family!) in the Fort Wayne, In area.
Please visit PMAFW.com for information about our martial arts schools closest to you in Fort Wayne!
Premier Martial Arts has been in business for more than 20 years, and since our founding in 1998 we have helped thousands of students of all ages realize their full potential. Premier Martial Arts delivers a best-in-class martial arts experience that helps our students develop the personal skills that are necessary to build a successful life. Our mastery of teaching martial arts over the past two decades is evident in our structured and thorough curriculum, which is standardized across our 100+ locations across the United States, Canada and England.
Our curriculum focuses on character development far beyond the importance of self-defense. We teach our young students how to respect their elders, how to be accountable, how to focus and how to stay in shape in a fun and exciting atmosphere. We empower our adult students with the self-confidence to overcome anxieties and trauma, in an environment that fosters inclusion and social belonging.
Premier Martial Arts Fort Wayne founded in 2015 by 6th Degree Black Belt and Master Instructor Ron Kuhn. Master Kuhn had a distinguished management & engineering career working for such companies as Verizon, NIPSCO, Frontier Communications and Mediacom. In 2019 he made the decision to operate his Martial Arts School fulltime which has always been his lifelong dream. That one location has grown to three in the City of Fort Wayne.
Master Ron Kuhn is married to his wife Anita (retired Special Needs Teacher) of 27 years. They have three wonderful daughters, Jordan, Ally and Katie. Jordan is a nurse who lives in Indianapolis. Ally has a computer science and business background and works with her dad at Premier Martial Arts. Katie is Chemical Engineering graduate and works in the pharmaceutical industry in Indianapolis.
Premier Martial Arts of Fort Wayne operates three locations:
North – 10240 Coldwater Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46825 (Coldwater & DuPont)
East – 10154 Maysville Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46835 (Chapel Hill Area)
Southwest – 9906 Illinois Road Fort Wayne, IN 46804 (Scott & Illinois Road)
Also check us out on: