By Premier Martial Arts, Fort Wayne, In
Premier Martial Arts schools are concerned about the reports about childhood obesity becoming rampant in America. This is not an experience they wish on any child. Obesity is a scary thing. Preventing obesity can be easy and empowering for children. Parents and care givers need to allow children to have control over their bodies. Kids need to learn to take control of their real needs and treat their bodies with love and respect, the sort of traditional life skills taught at martial arts found at Premier Martial Arts.
Nutrition is at least as important as exercise. People who attempt to lose weight are often totally confused about the role of nutrition. Some think that if they work out, they can eat whatever they want. Not true! Worse, contestants on The Biggest Loser often came in thinking “they’ll work out a lot and won’t eat at all,” says Bob Harper, a trainer on the popular TV show. This is not a good strategy! You need to hit the sweet spot: fueling your body enough with healthy foods to give you energy to get through the day (and your exercise routine), but not so much that you take in more than you’re burning off.
Practical Healthy Eating Tips for Children
- Encourage your child to eat regular meals and snacks: Offer three meals and one to three snacks each day, and serve your child a wide variety of healthy foods. Martial Arts Kids and Adults Health Tip: Think ahead and pack several healthy snacks for “on the go” so that children have easy access to healthy options
- Serve plenty of fruits and vegetables: Fruits and veggies are packed with nutrients yet contain few calories. Be sure to include at least one fruit and/or vegetable at each meal and snack. Martial Arts Kids and Adults Health Tip: Remember, a food needs to be introduced up to 10 times before a child’s taste buds can enjoy it. Children love to help in the kitchen—allow them to help make smoothies or rinse/prepare vegetables.
- Focus on high-fiber whole grains: Whole grain, fiber-rich breads, cereals, pastas, rice and low-fat crackers provide more vitamins, minerals and fiber to help meet your child’s nutritional needs. Martial Arts Kids and Adults Health Tip: Remember that parents lead by example. Most of the time, children eat what we do.
- Choose low-fat and non-fat dairy products: Low-fat and non-fat milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream and ice cream contain less fat and cholesterol than regular-fat versions. If your child eats cheese regularly, consider purchasing reduced-fat varieties. (Keep in mind that children between one and two years of age need to consume whole milk.) Martial Arts Kids and Adults Health Tip: Can’t get your child to drink milk? Try blending ½ cup frozen fruit into 1 cup low-fat milk. Don’t forget to serve with a straw.
- Limit sweetened beverages: Juice, soda, lemonade, and fruit drinks contain excess sugar and calories, but few nutrients—sometimes, none at all. Serve these drinks only on occasion, and serve no more than four to eight ounces—you can dilute these with water. Plain water is the best choice. Consider going green by purchasing reusable water bottles; let your child pick one in their favorite color. Martial Arts Kids and Adults Health Tip: Add fruit to your ice cube trays, blueberries work great!
Come back for Part II.
Please visit Premier Martial Arts to find a martial arts school for your child (and the whole family!) in the Fort Wayne, In area.
Please visit PMAFW.com for information about our martial arts schools nearest you in Ft. Wayne!
Please visit PMAFW.com for information about our martial arts schools closest to you in Fort Wayne!
Premier Martial Arts has been in business for more than 20 years, and since our founding in 1998 we have helped thousands of students of all ages realize their full potential. Premier Martial Arts delivers a best-in-class martial arts experience that helps our students develop the personal skills that are necessary to build a successful life. Our mastery of teaching martial arts over the past two decades is evident in our structured and thorough curriculum, which is standardized across our 100+ locations across the United States, Canada and England.
Our curriculum focuses on character development far beyond the importance of self-defense. We teach our young students how to respect their elders, how to be accountable, how to focus and how to stay in shape in a fun and exciting atmosphere. We empower our adult students with the self-confidence to overcome anxieties and trauma, in an environment that fosters inclusion and social belonging.
Premier Martial Arts Fort Wayne founded in 2015 by 6th Degree Black Belt and Master Instructor Ron Kuhn. Master Kuhn had a distinguished management & engineering career working for such companies as Verizon, NIPSCO, Frontier Communications and Mediacom. In 2019 he made the decision to operate his Martial Arts School fulltime which has always been his lifelong dream. That one location has grown to three in the City of Fort Wayne.
Master Ron Kuhn is married to his wife Anita (retired Special Needs Teacher) of 27 years. They have three wonderful daughters, Jordan, Ally and Katie. Jordan is a nurse who lives in Indianapolis. Ally has a computer science and business background and works with her dad at Premier Martial Arts. Katie is Chemical Engineering graduate and works in the pharmaceutical industry in Indianapolis.
Premier Martial Arts of Fort Wayne operates three locations:
North – 10240 Coldwater Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46825 (Coldwater & DuPont)
East – 10154 Maysville Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46835 (Chapel Hill Area)
Southwest – 9906 Illinois Road Fort Wayne, IN 46804 (Scott & Illinois Road)
Also check us out on: